Friday, July 3, 2009

I Had a Dream . . .

I had a dream of living on the sea, in a boat with the most wonderful hosts, one was tall, blond and had those sparkling eyes and a big smile, she was the most savvy and shrewd trionamo player and was the best cook ever. The other host was the most gracious, smartest sailor man and fun, fun, fun. In the dream we are sailing with dolphins and the sea was the most beautiful shade of deep blue, we were heeling and beating to windward. We caught a beam wind and then had to bear away. We reach a cove and the the water became a clear aquamarine color. We set the anchor and all is calm and delicious and I drift off to sleep.

WOW what a dream but wait it wasn't a dream but real and what a blast it was. Actually, I've had this dream three times since I've been back on land. I'm thinking I could live on the sea. Quite an adventure we had.

On our arrival to Palma, we climb aboard the Lonestar and unpacked and got into the dinghy to zoom and look around.

Never have I seen so many BIG pleasure boats. The next day we sail to a cove and set anchor. Our gracious hosts blow up the various tubes, kayak and we jump into the deep blue waters of the Mediterranean. The water is cooling and refreshing and I start looking around at our immediate surroundings. I look to my left and there is a lovely family, 2 teenage boys jumping off the back of the a big power boat with their sisters close behind, then I notice, Mom and a friend on the front of the boat, topless, being served drinks by the captain. Hmm, don't think my son and daughter would want to see me topless at any age. Then I look to the right and up zooms in but a bigger power boat with, Young girls gone wild on board, topless and bouncing around to a sassy beat of gyrating music. Interesting, So, Jan and I close our eyes and drift off, then chat, drift off, chat some more, maybe solve all the worlds problems and drift off some more. That evening Craig dinghy's us to shore and we explore some very old caves. Carvings on the walls and a cave or cell within the cave with a huge iron door with a lock, must be pirate dwellings or something.

We have a wonderful evening meal and a mean game of trionamoes. Jan wins big. The next day we sail farther north to the cove of Andratx. On our sail to Andratx, we sail past a small power boat that has caught on FIRE. Lots of conversation as to how and why the boat caught on fire and of course I took lots and lots of pictures.

Andratx is a sleepy town surrounded by beautiful villas and more beautiful boats and no, it is not the site of the where the deadly powder Anthrax is created, which is what we originally thought, or at least I did. But it is pronounced Anthrash, which sounds French to me but anyway.
We walk into town and find a great restaurant and enjoy a wonderful seafood meal (however, not as good as Jan's cod). We walk back and find full size painted horses in alley ways and windows, curious. As a side, on our next stop on the trip we happen to be reading a paper and discover the mayor of Andratx was arrested earlier in the year for corruption. And it seemed so idyllic.

Next day we sail back to Palma, We sail past lots of lighthouses, which I took many pictures of, and the isle of Dragonera. and its really looks like a dragon from a distance.
On the sail we encounter, DOLPHINS, in the Mediterranean, I didn't know they lived in the Med. I think I even got a picture of them.
As we got closer to Palma, I GOT to sail the Lonestar. Wow, it was extremely cool. Craig even got out the jib sail and put it up. and of course I got lots of pictures of that. Well, thanks to my great sailing skills I got us back to port. and no I did not drive up into the boat slip, (thank goodness). We got to explore Palma and got to see a beautiful cathedral, built from 1230 and finished in 1600, it was spectacular.

The next day we all took a train to Sollier, a town on the northern seaside to Mallorja, and it also had an interesting cathedral. So, now Ted and Grace are realizing that what you see and do a lot in Europe is see cathedral's, and I'm glad to say, they enjoyed seeing them as did I.
We had a lovely lunch and walked around a bit then back on the train, which goes through 17 tunnels. The clackity, clack of the train along with the mountain scenery was very relaxing. We even saw some horse farms.

The following day we parted ways with our good friends and wonderful hosts, Jan and Craig. They truly are, as our son Ted would say, Living the dream and I am grateful I got to experience some of that dream with them.

As I lay down to sleep I hope to have more dreams of sailing the sea.

No comments: